close this to read article
NOTE: If your workspace is enabled with Data360, you will be able to use Metrics instead of Goals for tracking standard and custom events on your website. However, the points provided in this article will apply to Metrics, as well.
Describes things to consider while you set up Goals in VWO.
- If the goal URL opens on both HTTP and HTTPS, specify a URL pattern (example: http*://vwo.com) to include traffic from both the protocols.
- If you are using the URL type as URL Starts With or URL contains, remove the trailing slash at the end of the specified URL. Say you are tracking the goal as URL Starts With / URL Contains https://vwo.com/knowledge/. With the slash (/) at the end of the URL, conversions are tracked only for URLs with something after the trailing slash, such as https://vwo.com/knowledge/abc.html. Therefore, to track the goal on https://vwo.com/knowledge/, specify the goal URL as URL Starts With/URL Contains and then type https://vwo.com/knowledge without the slash at the end.
- In case your URL has some special characters. For example, you have Hebrew characters within a URL. We recommend you to use the encodeURIComponent() method to remove any such special characters from the URL.
- If the goal you are tracking is on a different domain, enable the Cross-Domain tracking option in the test creation process. Cross-domain tracking is possible only for test campaign-related goals and not Goals in VWO Insights.
- For the Tracks page visit on testing goal, If the goal URL and the test URL are the same, then the goal is tracked only if the visitor refreshes the page or comes back to the goal page after visiting other pages on the website.
- For Tracks revenue on goal, ensure that the VWO SmartCode snippet, as well as the Revenue Goal code snippet, is added to the page where the goal is being tracked.
- VWO tracks the Track Page Visits goal as soon as a visitor arrives on the page, but the ‘Track Revenue’ goal is triggered only when the Document Object Model (DOM) is ready.
- If you are tracking the Track Page Visits goal that redirects to another URL as soon as the user lands on it, you must enter the URL of the page where visitors eventually land. If you define the goal URL on the redirection page, VWO will not be able to track conversions on time.
- In the case of the VWO Insights page visit goal, if the audience and conversion URLs are the same, the goal will be activated as soon as the user lands on the website, i.e., at the first visit itself, but for the test page visit goal, we need to refresh the page (in case the campaign and goal URL are the same)