VWO Testing goals help you track different visitors’ activities on your website such as page visits, elements click, links click, and so on. When a visitor successfully performs the actions defined in a goal, VWO records a conversion for the same.
To create a goal in VWO Testing, all you need to do is select a visitor activity and specify URLs where they will be tracked. This can be done by going to the TESTING feature on the VWO app and selecting the type of test(A/B, Multivariate, Split URL) you want to work with.
When a visitor to your website completes a desired action such as signing up for a newsletter, filling out a form, or making a purchase, a website conversion occurs. In VWO, the Conversions URL must be defined where the visitor performs the desired action. Although a website owner would want to track almost all user actions, they should only track the conversions that user does and “converts” as part of their important business goals. For example, filling out a signup form, showing some level of engagement with the site, or completing the purchase.
Ensure that you have added VWO SmartCode on every webpage where your goals are running. To learn about how to add the VWO SmartCode to your webpage, refer to Configuring SmartCode for your Website.
- Login to your VWO account.
- Go to TESTING and select a test type per your requirements
The corresponding test dashboard appears.
- In the dashboard, click CREATE.
- In the Enter URL of the page you want to test field, enter the URL of the webpage you want to test.
NOTE: To include or exclude URLs from the campaign, click the
ADVANCED tab present next to the URL field. Using this tab, you
can also define advanced pattern-matching options to either include
a broad URL with wildcard entries or a specific URL. To learn about
using different URL patterns, refer to Using URL Patterns in VWO.
- From the What hypothesis are you testing? dropdown, select a hypothesis you want to work with. This is an optional step.
NOTE: If you do not have a hypothesis yet or wish to create a new
one, you can do so by clicking on the Create a New Hypothesis option
present at the bottom of the hypothesis dropdown. To learn more about
the hypothesis, refer to Hypothesis in VWO.
- In the Variations page, create your variations and click Next.
- On the Goals page, click the edit icon present next to the New Goal and enter the name for your goal.
- From the Goal Type dropdown, select an action for which you want to record a goal conversion in VWO.
- From the field below, specify the operation from the dropdown, and in the field next to it, enter the URL of the webpage where you want to track the conversions. This field appears based on what you have selected in the Goal Type dropdown.
- To add more goals to your campaign, click Add Another Goal.
NOTE: If you add multiple goals, you have the option to specify
one goal as Primary Goal. VWO declares a variation as a smart
decision or a winner based on the primary goal. If you have
multiple goals in your test, then the goal which is directly
and exclusively impacted by the changes you make in the test
must be chosen as the primary goal. By default, the first goal
is considered as a Primary Goal.
- The Frequently used goals section present at the bottom of the page displays the goals that you use the most. Choosing a goal from here would be useful when you need to reuse the goal code.
NOTE: The goals appear based on the domain where your test
To verify whether your goal is successfully created, go to the TESTING type for which you have created the goal. Say, if you have created a goal for the A/B test, go to TESTING > A/B and in the goal dashboard, check for the goal which you recently created.
Additionally, using the Preview mode, you can check if your goal is working as expected or not.