Heatmaps dashboard in VWO is the central place where you can generate heatmap reports, manage heatmap data collection settings, and create and manage views. In the heatmap dashboard, you can view the report for a page(s) and apply segments to look at data for specific visitor groups. To access the heatmap dashboard, go to INSIGHTS > Heatmaps.
Using the heatmap dashboard, you can typically do the following:
- Enable data collection for heatmaps
- View Heatmaps for a URL
- Filter heatmaps
- View Data for Specific Visitor Segments
- Create views
- Configure heatmap settings
Enable Data Collection for Heatmaps
If you are using the Heatmaps for the first time, you must first enable the VWO heatmaps to collect data for your website. Once you enable it, VWO automatically starts collecting data on all the pages that have VWO SmartCode.
- Go to INSIGHTS > Heatmaps.
- To enable the heatmaps feature, click ENABLE NOW.
Note: This option only appears if you are using the heatmaps view for the first time.
View Heatmaps for a URL
To know how to view the heatmaps for a URL, refer to How to View a Heatmap for a URL?
View Data for Specific Visitor Segments
Using the Select one or more segments option, you can generate heatmaps based on the data collected from a specific visitor segment. You can create visitor segments per different conditions such as geographical location, user device, and other user behaviors. You can select from over 20 segment conditions such as source URLs, referral type, visitor IP address, technology, time, etc. To learn more about defining customer segments, refer to How to Define Custom Visitor Segments.
- Go to INSIGHTS > Heatmaps.
- In the heatmaps dashboard, enable the option to Select one or more segment to select the visitor segment you want to target.
- From the options that appear on the page, you can select VWO default segments or create your custom visitor target segment that meets your requirements.
- Click VIEW HEATMAP to view the heatmap corresponding to the selected segment.
You can filter the heatmaps reports based on the dates and segments if you have enabled the segmentation option for the goal.
To filter reports within a specific date range, enable the Select a date range check box. Select the date range for which you want to view the reports and click VIEW HEATMAP. By default, the heatmap report displays data for the last 30 days.
- Last 30 Days: View reports of the last 30 days from today.
- Last 7 Days: View reports of the last 7 days from today.
- Yesterday: View yesterday's heatmap data.
- Today: View today's heatmap data.
To learn more about Views and how to create them, refer to Creating a Heatmap View.
Configure Heatmaps Settings
Click the Settings gear icon to configure the URLs where you want to plot heatmap data. By default, the heatmap will run on all pages where the VWO code is present. However, if you do not want to collect data from certain pages (such as the Contact Us page, which may not be important for the test), you can use the Exclude URLs option. To know more about configuring the URLs for a heatmap, refer to Setting-up Heatmap for a URL.
In the heatmap dashboard, you can also perform the following:
- To stop the heatmap, click PAUSE DATA COLLECTION.
- Post this, VWO will stop collecting data for the views you have created on the URLs.If you want to clear all existing data from the heatmap, click FLUSH ALL DATA option.
- Click the email icon to share the report.
To learn more about the heatmap dashboard, refer to our Heatmap Dashboard blog.