If your objective is to trigger your test campaigns based on some custom conditions, the Manual campaign activation feature of VWO is the one that you must use.
By default, all VWO test campaigns are activated as soon as the website visitors land on the URL where the test is running and qualifies for the target conditions. Using the manual activation option, you can choose to trigger a campaign using custom conditions defined in your website code.
Manual campaign activation typically helps you to:
- Test a change on a modal which appears on a click or any defined condition.
- Run a test on elements that appear below a certain scroll-depth.
- Test an element that appears on a page based on a condition.
To enable the manual campaign activation feature for your campaign, expand the Advanced Options section and select the Manual campaign activation option from the OTHERS page of the test creation process.
On enabling this option, a code snippet appears in a field under it. You must copy this code snippet and add it to your website code to manually activate the test based on the custom condition.
Things to Consider While Working With Manual Campaign Activation
- We do not recommend changing the activation mode once the test is live and running. If you change the mode, your returning visitors will not see the campaign changes unless they meet the condition of the manual trigger.
- For manually activated campaigns, the goals will work only if the manual code snippet is added to the goal page, code executes the test, the condition defined is true, and the condition matches.
- Manual activation may cause some flicker if not set up properly. We recommend activating the campaign at the start of the triggering event.
- For Split URL tests, manual activation is not allowed.
To configure a manual trigger for single and multiple campaigns, use the following code: