Data retention period in VWO is the duration for which your data will be retained in VWO servers. The data retention policy applies to VWO Testing (for Starter plan only), VWO Insights and VWO Mobile Recordings.
The Data Retention period is subjective to the VWO plan that you have subscribed to. When the respective data retention period is crossed, your data is purged on a rolling window basis.
For example, if the data retention period for your current plan is 60 days, VWO servers will continue to hold your data for a duration of 60 days each. The process of data purging starts on day 61. This means that the data stored in the VWO servers on day 1 will get purged by day 61, and the consecutive data will be purged on the subsequent days.
To check your retention period and data usage, go to Settings > Accounts > Usage.
How Data Retention Works in Different Scenarios?
Based on your plan, you will be able to view your campaign report data for the respective data retention period, subject to the campaign start date and the availability of campaign data.
For example, if your data retention period is for 90 days, you can only view the results for the last 90 days. However, when it comes to VWO Testing (Starter plan only), there are special cases to it.
If your campaign has been paused
The data collection is ceased, and the data belonging to the dates that fall beyond your data retention period will be aggregated in the reports, while the data for the rest of the dates are displayed accordingly.
INFO: VWO aggregates the total visitors and the total conversions by summing up the respective values.
|If your campaign is in running state||The data collection is continued, and the data for the dates beyond your data retention period will not be available in the reports and will be purged on rolling-basis|
|If your campaign is resumed
||The data collection is resumed, and the data beyond the retention period will not be available in the reports|
- The aggregated test campaign data will not be restored to day-wise data even when you upgrade to a plan with a higher data retention period.
- For VWO Insights, you can post-segment data for a maximum of 30 days at a time, irrespective of the data retention period you have subscribed to. For example, if your data retention period is for 90 days, you can only apply segmentation for any 30-day period by specifying the period using the date-range filter.
Impact of Subscription Update on the Data Retention Period!!
- Downgrade VWO Insights/Mobile Recordings Plan: The retention period decreases as per the new plan. For example, if you downgrade from Pro to Growth, only the last 30 days of data are maintained, while the rest is purged.
- Downgrade to VWO Testing (Starter): Upon downgrading to the Starter plan, you will be able to access the campaign data only from the last 90 days. As the data ages, they get purged on a rolling basis. For example, if you downgrade to the Starter plan on the 30th of June, you will be able to access the data retrospectively for your running campaign only up to the 2nd of April. The data before the 2nd of April will be deleted.
NOTE: For campaigns that were paused/stopped more than 90 days before the activation of the starter plan, the day-wise data will not be available. Instead, you can only view the aggregated summary of the campaign data.
- Upgrade From VWO Testing (Starter): When upgrading from Starter to any higher plan, the data pertaining to the test campaigns will be carried over and preserved along with the upcoming data, as per your new plan duration.
- Upgrade VWO Insights/Mobile Recordings Plan/VWO Testing (Starter): The existing data is retained, and new data is added incrementally. For example, if the previous retention plan was for 30 days and you upgrade it to a plan with a higher retention period of 60 days, previous data is retained, and new data is added incrementally. Here, the data purge will happen only on day 61.
- Unsubscribing from VWO Insights/Mobile Recordings/VWO Testing (Starter): Post unsubscribing, VWO retains data for only 30 days, irrespective of the retention period of the existing plan.
- Subscribing to VWO Insights/Mobile Recordings/VWO Testing (Starter): New data is populated incrementally from the day of the upgrade. Data deletion will happen only after the first complete retention period.
- Evaluation Period: By default, evaluation for VWO Insights/Mobile Recordings will only have a 30-day retention period.