In this article, you’ll learn:
Creating goals in VWO Insights helps you track different visitor's activities on your website, such as page visits, elements click, links clicked, and so on. When a visitor successfully performs the actions defined in a goal, VWO records a conversion for the same.
To create a goal in VWO, go to the INSIGHTS > Goals page, select a visitor activity and specify URLs where you want to track them. Before you learn the stepwise process to Create a Goal in VWO Insights section, we recommend familiarizing yourself with the Audience URL and Conversion URL concepts.
The audience in VWO is typically a qualification criterion that forms the visitor base that can potentially convert a goal. In other words, it is the condition defined from which visitors can go on to perform the conversion action. Audience means all unique visitors who can potentially take action to convert the goal. In VWO, we define the Audience in terms of the URL from where the users initiate their journey to completing the goal. For example, if you track clicks on the signup button on the pricing page, the Audience could be the home page. We will be tracking users who first land on the homepage, then visit the pricing page and click on the signup button. If we keep the Audience as the pricing page, we will be tracking users at the pricing page and clicking on the signup button.
Conversions happen when a visitor of the site takes an action we care about. In VWO, we define Conversions in terms of URL where the users’ action takes place. Although a website owner would want to track almost all user actions, they should only track the conversions that the user does and converts as part of their important business goals. For example, filling out a signup form, showing some level of engagement with the site, or completing the purchase.
Creating a Goal in VWO Insights
Ensure that you have added VWO Smartcode on every webpage where your goals are running. To learn about adding the VWO Smartcode to your webpage, refer to Configuring Smartcode for your Website.
Watch the following video to get a quick understanding of setting up a goal in VWO Insights:
- Login to your VWO account.
- Go to INSIGHTS > Goals.
The Goals dashboard appears.
- To create a new conversion goal, click Create.
- To change the goal name, click the edit icon present next to the New Goal and enter the name for your goal.
- From the Select goal to track dropdown, select an action for which you want to record a goal conversion in VWO.
- In the Enter URL of the page where you want to track the field, enter the URL to track the goal. This field appears based on what you have selected in the Select goal to track dropdown.
- To define the audience segment you want to track, enable the Select the segments for which you want to track goal performance option.
For example, you may want to track visitors who land on the URL through a marketing campaign, or visitors from a particular country, and so on. To achieve this, you can create your custom visitor segment or select one from the default segments. To learn more about segmentation, refer to How to Define Custom Visitor Segments.
- Click NEXT to define the audience of your conversion goal.
- In the Enter URL of the page you want to define as audience field, enter the webpage URL which you would want to define as the audience. You can use the ADVANCED tab to include or exclude one or more specific URLs.
- To add notes and labels, use the Add Notes and Add Labels options.
NOTE: Notes and labels help you quickly filter the goals in the Goals Dashboard.
- To finalize the goal setup, click FINISH.
- Once your goal is successfully saved, you can immediately start running the goal on the specified pages or choose to start it later.
NOTE: The concept of sampling applies to the VWO Insights Goals. To know about sampling in VWO, refer to How VWO Sampling Works.
To verify whether your goal is successfully created, go to INSIGHTS > Goals. The recently created goal must appear in the goal dashboard.