Surveys in VWO let you collect feedback directly from your website visitors. Using this, you can ask specific questions to draw out feedback from your visitors.
To create a Survey in VWO, go to Insights > Surveys and click Create. A new survey campaign creation page appears with the default name of the campaign as New Campaign. To change it, click the Edit icon present next to it and enter a name.
The whole process of creating a survey involves the following five steps:
Step 1: URLs and Audience
The first step in the creation of a Survey is to specify the URL of the page where you want your survey to appear and configure the visitor segments for your survey. To do these, perform the following steps:
- In the Enter URL of the page where you want the survey to appear field, enter the URL of the page where you want the survey to appear.
NOTE: Using the Advanced tab, you can also configure your survey to include or exclude URLs from the survey. Here, you can also define advanced pattern-matching options to include either a broad URL with wildcard entries or a specific URL. To learn more about URL options, refer to URL patterns in VWO.
- To target your survey for specific visitor segments, enable the Show this survey to a specific visitor group option. Targeting surveys for specific visitor groups allow you to analyze the survey reports based on the visitor segments you have defined. To know how to create segments, refer to How to Use Standard Segments.
- Click Next.
Step 2: Triggers
Triggering your survey at the most relevant moment could be a better strategic move that could help you grasp the opportunity of sourcing better insights from your visitors. To configure the triggering of your surveys in VWO, you can either choose from a set of predefined trigger templates or create your own. Based on the triggering condition, VWO triggers your survey when a visitor meets it. Refer to this article to learn about configuring the triggers for your campaign.
Step 3: Questions
To know it from the visitors gives you a first-hand review of their experience through your website. That’s why setting up the right questions is very important for your survey. The Questions page allows you to set up the questions for your survey, wherein you also get to configure the types of questions and the navigation flow between the questions.
To learn how to add questions to a survey, refer to Adding Questions to a Survey in VWO.
Step 4: Options
In the Options section, you can configure the look and feel of your survey pop-up box, custom branding, and the position of the survey pop-up on your visitor’s screen with the following options:
Select a position for the survey to appear on the screen. By default, survey appears at the bottom-right of the page. Using the option present in the Position dropdown, you can change the position of the survey to display it on the right or left side of the visitor screen.
From the Theme dropdown, you can either select a predefined theme or add a custom theme for the appearance of your survey. You also get to preview the selected theme at the top section of the page. To create your own custom theme, select the New Theme option from the dropdown. By default, it displays the CSS of the Dark theme in two code boxes, which you can customize.
- Preferred Language
Using the options present in the Preferred Language dropdown, you can set your preferred language for your survey to translate system messages and field validation errors. For example, you can translate field error validation messages like ‘A response is required’ in another language to make it relevant for your website visitors.
- Applying Brand
By default, VWO’s brand is applied to your surveys. If you choose not to have it, you can select the Remove VWO branding option. This will enable the option to add your own brand to your survey. To do so, upload your brand logo by clicking on BROWSE.
NOTE: If you are loading your own logo, ensure that its dimensions are exactly 320 x 100 px.
Step 5: Others
The Others page is the last step in the creation process of a survey. Here, you can allocate the traffic for your campaign and configure other additional settings, such as scheduling and setting the number of times to display the survey. Perform the following steps to configure the options on this page:
- You can choose to display your campaign only to a specific amount of your website’s traffic. This can be helpful when your website has a massive visitor volume or when you’re attempting to serve the survey to a smaller portion of your visitor base. Move the slider in the Traffic to include in the campaign section horizontally to configure the traffic allocation for your campaign. Alternatively, you can directly mention the percentage value in the field next to the slider.
- Often, visitors tend to minimize the survey and forget to complete it. Now, you can configure the display of your survey any number of times on a scale from 1 to 10, as shown below.
This will keep triggering your surveys accordingly until filled. By default, your survey will be triggered 3 times if not filled.
- If you want your campaign to run for a specific duration, you can schedule it accordingly so that VWO automates the execution of your campaign. To do that, select the Enable Scheduling option and perform the steps mentioned here.
- If you choose to keep your campaign information from being displayed to the visitors via the View Page Source option in their browsers, you can enable the Hide campaign name in visitor settings option to replace your campaign information with a standard content format. For example, if you have a survey named “Survey for pricing page,” VWO will replace it with a survey-numerical ID (such as survey123456).
NOTE: You cannot apply this option for a survey that is running, paused or stopped.
- For your internal reference purposes, you can use the Add Notes and the Add Labels options to add notes and label your campaign, respectively. These will help you filter your surveys easily.
Now that you have completed configuring your survey click CREATE to create it.
Once done, you can choose to click on either the Start Now button to start the campaign right away or the Preview Campaign and Start Later button to preview your campaign before you could start it later, manually.