The Segment settings allow you to customize how VWO segmentation and targeting criteria apply to a test running on your website and how visitors are evaluated to qualify for a specific segment.
To configure the settings for your segments, select the option Enable campaign for a specific visitor group, and click the SETTINGS option. Using this option, you can manage the following:
- Set up how VWO should check visitor’s segment conditions.
- Decide when to display the modified elements.
- Until when should VWO look for the specific changes in the code.
For example, VWO stores information when a visitor becomes a part of any test. This information is stored when the visitor qualifies for a segment and becomes a part of a test for the first time. From there on, whenever the visitor lands again on the test pages, VWO will look for the cookie rather than checking the segment conditions every time. With the SETTINGS option, you can configure how you would want to check the segment conditions of the visitors.
To learn about setting advanced segment conditions in VWO, refer to this video.
Check Targeting Conditions for a Visitor
In this section, you can choose how you would require VWO to check for the targeting conditions for your website visitors. By default, the option Once is selected, which means the visitor segment condition is only checked once and the same variation is served to the visitor on every subsequent visit.
If you choose Always, the visitor is evaluated against the segment condition on every visit to the website (every page reload). Also, the visitor is evaluated for the segment conditions on all goal pages as well. This typically means that when visitors click a button or visit a page defined as a goal in your test, they must satisfy the segment conditions for their conversion to be recorded.
For example, you have created a personalization campaign that shows specific content to all the visitors landing on your website from a Google ad. Now, you want to ensure that visitors who do not come from this ad are not shown this content at all. For such cases, choose the option Always to check visitor eligibility on every page they visit to make sure that the changes are implemented and displayed only when the visitor qualifies for the segment. This way, the campaign goal is triggered only after a visitor qualifies and will collect accurate report data.
NOTE: If your targeting condition contains Behavior options, the
visitors are evaluated for all conditions excluding the defined
behavior (like click on an element). The variation is displayed
to the visitors only after they fulfill all other conditions and
become eligible for the test.
Make modified elements visible when
When you make any changes using VWO’s visual editor, VWO tracks all the elements that are changed. When a visitor lands on the test page, VWO first hides all the changes during page load, fetches the changes that you made to the element, applies those changes, and then displays the modified content to the visitors. This ensures that there is no flickering effect on the page while VWO is loading the changes for the visitor.
The Make modified elements visible when field lets you specify when to show the modified elements to the visitors by using one of the following options:
- Campaign executes: Display the changed elements as soon as VWO evaluates the eligibility of the visitors for the segment. This is the default option when the segment does not involve behavioral conditions.
- DOM Ready: Elements are displayed when the HTML is loaded fully and parsed. To learn more about DOM Ready, refer to DOMContentLoaded event.
- Custom Event: You can define a custom event according to which the changes load. For example, you may want to display the elements only after a visitor performs an action on the page, or after a certain time gap, and so on.
- Always (elements are not hidden): The modified elements are not hidden during page load. On selecting this option, visitors may experience a flickering effect on the page reload when the original content is updated. This is the default option if the segment involves any Behavior condition (like click on an element, or user is trying to close the page).
NOTE: By default, elements are not hidden for Behavior targeting
options (like click on an element). This is because VWO doesn’t
know when the website visitor will click that defined element or
try to exit the page. Hence, the elements are not hidden on the
page by default. You can change this option per your test requirements.
NOTE: The Poll until option is disabled if you are not using a cookie or
NOTE: You may find this condition selected for tests created before
this feature was launched.
- DOM Ready: This is the default selection where polling ends only when the HTML is loaded fully and parsed. To learn more about DOM Ready, refer to DOMContentLoaded event.
- Custom Event: Using this option, you can define a custom event until which the polling should run. For example, you may want to continue polling until your CRM variables are loaded on the page.