Using the VWO Segment Gallery, you can select predefined segments and target a specific group of visitors through your test or variations.
With the VWO segmentation feature, you can group your website visitors into segments based on the visitors' common traits. For example, you can segment users based on the device they use to access the website, the referral site that directs them to your page, their geographical location, and so on.
To identify whether a visitor belongs to any predefined segment, VWO looks for the following parameters in the visitor information:
- Direct: Direct traffic comprises visitors who land directly on the test page by either typing the test page’s URL in their browser or reaching via browser bookmarks. Also, document.referrer is empty in visitor information.
- Referral: Referral traffic comprises the visitors who land on the test page through referral websites, and in this case, document.referrer has a value.
- Social traffic: It comprises of the visitors who come from social media platforms like Facebook, Quora, Reddit, Imgur, Disqus, 9gag, Tumblr, Google Plus, Stumbleupon, Twitter, Linkedin, Technorati, Digg, Hootsuite, Myspace, Tinyurl, Youtube, Flickr, Pinterest, and so on.
- Mobile, Desktop, Tablet: They are classified based on their UA (User Agent) strings.
- New vs. Returning Visitor: A new visitor is the one who visits your website for the very first time. This means, if it is the visitor’s first session on your website, he/she is considered a new visitor. If the same visitor visits your website from the same browser in another session, he/she is considered a returning visitor.
NOTE: In VWO, a new session is created on browser restart, after 30 minutes of inactivity or continuous activity of no more than 24 hours. Post this; a visitor is considered a returning visitor.
- Non-paid search traffic: This refers to the organic traffic from a search medium but does not contain utm_medium query parameters such as cpc, ppc, cpa, cpm, cpv, and cpp.
- Paid Traffic Search: This type contains utm_medium query parameter such as cpc, ppc, cpa, cpm, cpv, cpp
- Search traffic: This refers to the organic traffic by checking the referrer for search engines.
- Email Traffic: This type contains utm_medium=email as the query parameter.