Choosing to split the visitor traffic in your test when a user lands on your website can have a significant impact on how long it takes to complete the test as one variation might have less exposure compared to the others. For example, 80 percent of traffic can be allocated to the control and 20 percent to the test variation, or 40 percent to the control and 20 percent to each variant, and so on.
In VWO, traffic allocation typically means the percentage of traffic that is allowed to become a part of your test. In this allocation, one chooses to assign a smaller or larger proportion of visitors to either control or the variations and this helps you monitor how much of your site traffic goes through a test.
After running your tests for a sufficient amount of time, one can assess the performance and thereby choose to direct all traffic to the variation that performs better than the others.
NOTE: If you have migrated to the Bayesian Statistical model, you can set
up variation targeting only for Personalization. The targeting option is
not available for A/B tests.
If you have set the variation-level targeting, the traffic percentage you assign will only apply after the rules of the segmentation. For example, if you have targeted Control for desktop visitors and Variation for mobile users, your website visitors will access the respective version based on the segmentation rules applied and not based on the traffic percentage set for each variation.
- Login to your VWO account.
- Select a testing type you want to work with, say A/B, Multivariate, or Split URL.
- From the testing dashboard, select a test for which you want to configure the traffic percentage.
- Go to SETTINGS > OTHERS.
- Expand the Traffic Split section and select the option Customize traffic allocation for each variation.
A list of variations appears along with the option to modify the traffic percentage for each.
- By default, the traffic is split equally amongst the variations. To modify the traffic allocation, click on the edit icon and move the slider to customize the traffic allocation per your requirements.
- Once done, click SAVE.