In VWO, you can seamlessly roll out the winning variation (or any other variation) of a test with a single click. All you need to do is, click on the Rollout option present in VWO. With this feature, you can quickly roll out a variation on the go wherever you are, using hand-held devices such as a mobile, tablet, etc. You don't need to be near your desktops or laptops to roll out a variation.
1. As of now, the Roll out feature is only available in A/B test campaigns.
2. If Control is the winner, the Roll out option does not appear on the UI.
Don't Have a Winner Yet, But Wish to Roll Out a Variation?
Yes, you can achieve this in VWO by using the Roll out variation option. It is an easy two-step process that copies all the configurations from your existing test campaign and creates a new Rollout campaign. Here, you also have the option to modify the configurations of the new campaign before starting it. For example, add mobile traffic in targeting conditions.
Things to Consider While Working with the Rollout Variation Feature
- The Rollout variation option appears for all the variations except the control.
- By default, VWO Rollout will use the testing quota unless you have purchased a Rollout-only quota. Once your Rollout quota is over, VWO will automatically start using your testing quota.
- The original A/B test will automatically stop whenever the linked Rollout test starts.
- When the rolled-out campaign is in progress, you cannot start the original A/B test, i.e., only one of them can run at a time. If you still wish to run the original A/B test, you'll have to pause the Rollout campaign first and then start the A/B test. We recommend that you clone the A/B test and then restart it to ensure that you have valid data for your A/B test.
- If your variation's scheduling criteria have expired, it will not carry forward to the new Rollout campaign. However, if it's active, you get an option to copy it to the Rollout campaign. When you start the Rollout campaign, it gets overridden in the linked A/B test.
- If you don't start the Rollout campaign from the A/B test, the newly created Rollout campaign will get linked to the current A/B test and is shown in a tile on the Summary and Report page.
- If you have manual campaign activation in your old campaign and you copy it to the Rollout campaign, you will need to update your website's activation code. This is because the campaign activation code contains the campaign ID, and when a new campaign gets created, the campaign ID changes.
- When you start a linked Rollout campaign, and the A/B test still has a few schedules that can enable the A/B test in the future (such as a recurring starting schedule), it will be disabled.
How Does Quota Consumption Work for VWO Rollout
To learn how does quota consumption works in VWO, refer to VWO Rollout Quota FAQs.
Putting It to Work
To roll out the winning variations (or any other variation) of a test in VWO, perform this:
- Log in to your VWO account.
- From the panel on the left, go to Testing > A/B.
- On the testing dashboard, select the test with the variation you want to roll out and go to the Reports tab.
- Scroll down to the report table that lists the performance of all variations.
- To roll out the winning variation, click the Roll out instantly option present next to the winning variation.
- If you don't have a winner and wish to roll out a variation, click on the vertical ellipsis icon (⋮) corresponding to any variation (except the control version).
- From the context menu that appears, select the Roll out variation option.
- In the Roll out variation popup, choose the variation you want to roll out from the Select variation to rollout dropdown.
The configurations corresponding to the campaign appear.
- From the configurations that appear, select any (or all) configuration you want to copy to the Rollout campaign.
- To process further, click Create Campaign and Proceed. With this, a new campaign gets created, and the information about the campaign is displayed in the dialog.
- If you wish to edit the variations before rolling them out, click Go to Campaign. This creates a new Rollout campaign and links it with the current A/B test.
Based on the campaign configurations, the following information appears:
a. Which quota will be used. If you have not purchased a separate quota for VWO Rollout, the Testing quota in your account will be used for Rollout campaigns.
b. Starting the new Rollout campaign will automatically pause the linked A/B test.
c. In case you have used manual campaign activation, the following message appears: “Manual campaign activation code has changed. Replace the campaign activation code on your website with the code shown below.” This is because the campaign activation code includes the campaign ID, and when a new campaign gets created, the campaign ID changes.
d. In case you have configured the scheduling that can start in the future, it will get overridden.
- If you wish to preview your variation before rolling it out, click Preview.
- To finalize your changes and start the campaign, click Start Campaign Now.