In this article, you’ll learn about the following:
VWO Event Streamer is a custom tag template that you can import into your GTM account in order to stream custom events from GTM to VWO. This is an effortless approach if you just require fetching custom events from GTM to VWO. You just need to install the VWO streamer as a template on GTM and configure the events to be sent to VWO from GTM.
Let’s say you have created tags in GTM for events such as “Add to Cart”, “Proceed to Checkout”, and “Purchase”, and you use these events in your Google Analytics account. Now, you’re looking to import the same events into VWO to run a campaign for gauging the sellability of a certain product. Don’t worry; you needn’t get into extensive integration here. You can simply install the VWO Event Streamer and add it as a custom template to your GTM account. This streams all your custom events from GTM to VWO just like that.
If you require more capabilities, such as transferring campaign data from VWO to GTM or targeting visitors in your VWO campaigns using a GTM data layer variable, you need to integrate your VWO account with GTM.
Installing VWO Event Streamer on GTM
Download the VWO Event Streamer tag template from here, extract the files and perform the following steps to install the VWO Event Streamer on GTM:
- Log in to your GTM account and select the appropriate workspace where you want to install the VWO Event Streamer.
- From the main menu on the left, go to Templates > Tag Templates > New.
- On the Template Editor page, click on the vertical ellipsis (⋮) and select Import.
- Browse for template.tpl from the VWO Event Streamer files that you’ve downloaded and select it. The template is uploaded to GTM.
- Click Save to complete the import of the VWO Event Streamer template.
Using the VWO Event Streamer Template
Upon successful import, you can use the VWO Event Streamer template to stream the events from GTM to VWO effortlessly. To do that, perform the following steps:
- From the main menu on your GTM dashboard, navigate to Tags > New.
- Name the tag and click on the Tag Configuration section.
- From the list of tags, under the Custom section, select the VWO Event Streamer tag that you just imported.
- Should you require excluding any event or event property from being forwarded to VWO, you shall use the Exclude following events and the Exclude following properties settings, respectively.
- Click on the Triggering section, and click on the + icon at the top-right to create a new trigger.
- Name the trigger and click on the Trigger Configuration section.
- We recommend using the following trigger settings to stream all the events to VWO. Configure your trigger settings as follows and click on Save:
- In the Trigger Type field, select Custom Event.
- In the Event name field, enter “.*”.
- Select the Use regex matching option.
- Click Save.
Now, your website events from GTM will be streaming into the UNREGISTERED EVENTS section under Events in your VWO Data360 module. You can use these events to set up your campaign triggers, create metrics, and target the visitors for your campaigns.