Session Recordings dashboard is the central place where you can view session recordings, manage data collection settings and create and manage views. VWO’s Session Recordings allows you to record visitor interactions with your website. To access the Session Recordings dashboard, go to INSIGHTS > Session Recordings.
Using the session recordings dashboard, you can typically do the following:
- Enable data collection
- Configure data collection
- Create views
- View recordings
- Save/Download/Delete recordings
- Filter recordings
Enable Data Collection for Recordings
The data tracking starts once you have enabled the option Start Data Collection from the Configuration settings.
Also, if you are using the Session Recordings for the first time, you must first enable the VWO Session Recordings to collect data for your website. Once you enable it, click START to start collecting data for your website. Post this, VWO starts the recording on all the pages that have VWO Smartcode.
NOTE: Based on your VWO plan, data retention is displayed on the dashboard.
Go to INSIGHTS > Session Recordings.
To enable the Session Recordings feature, click ENABLE NOW.
NOTE: This option only appears if you are using the recordings view for the first time.
Create a new session recording view using the Views tab on the right. Once done, click the START button to start recording. To learn about creating a Session Recordings View, refer to Create Session Recording View.
NOTE: If you have already started the recording, the START button gets changed to RUNNING.
Configure data collection
By default, VWO collects data on all the pages where you have installed the Smartcode. But if you want to exclude certain URLs, add anonymizations, pause the data collection then you can do it using the CONFIGURATION section of the session recordings.
- Go to INSIGHTS > Session Recordings.
- Click the Settings icon.
The Settings dialog appears.
- To modify the configurations, click on the EDIT icon present next to the configuration.
- By default, VWO Anonymize all key presses ignoring all input fields and does not store or transmit data. To know more about anonymizing specific fields or inputs, click here.
ATTENTION: Anonymize all key presses option is enabled by default and you cannot disable it. To know more about this, please contact VWO Support.
- To stop the recording, click PAUSE DATA COLLECTION.
Post this, VWO will stop collecting recordings.
- If you want to clear all existing data from the recordings, click FLUSH ALL DATA option.
- Click the email icon to share the report.
- Once done with configuring the session recordings, click SAVE.
Session Recordings in VWO generate a visual report of the visitor journey on a webpage. This helps you in identifying the sections of your website which receive maximum visitor attention. Using VWO Session Recordings, you can create customized views to track activities of a specific visitor segment and save the view for quick viewing. To learn more about Views and how to create a session recording view, refer to Creating a Session Recordings View.
You can view a recording by clicking on the PLAY button corresponding to the recording you want to view.
- Go to INSIGHTS > Session Recordings.
- In the Session Recordings dashboard, select the view from the VIEWS panel for which you want to view the recording.
All the recordings corresponding to the selected view appear in the dashboard.
- Click PLAY/VIEWED to view the recording.
NOTE: The PLAY button changes to VIEWED for the recordings you have already viewed.
- You can view the recordings along with location information, duration, the device used to access, and the date of recording.
- You can delete and save or download Visitor Recordings per your VWO plan. To do this, click the ellipses against the recording you want to perform an action on.
- To save the recording, click Save. On successful save of the recording, it appears in the SAVED RECORDINGS section of the dashboard.
NOTE: If you annotate a recording with observations, it gets saved automatically.
- To download the recording, click Download.
NOTE: The recording gets downloaded as a zip file. To view the recording, unzip the file and then open the index.html file.
- To share the recording, click Share link. Using this option, you can share the direct link of your recording over email.
- To delete a recording, click Delete.
NOTE: Once deleted, the recording will no more be visible in the dashboard. Also, the delete operation cannot be undone.
Different filters are available to filter your recordings in the Session Recordings dashboard. Using these filters, you can search for the session recordings that you have created in the past. To learn more about using filters, refer to How to Filter Session Recordings in VWO?