Few things that you must be aware of before you start working with Session Recordings:
- Session Recordings in VWO do not record the portions of the page which contain iframes. However, Session Recordings support the recording of that iframe separately if the VWO SmartCode is installed in the iFrame.
- The maximum duration of a session for which recordings will be captured is 2 hours with a maximum of 20 page views. If the duration exceeds 2 hours or the page views goes beyond 20 pages, no new data will be recorded in the current session.
- A visitor needs to spend a minimum of 5 seconds in a session for the recording to be seen in the VWO dashboard.
- A recording session expires after 30 minutes of idle time. For example, if a visitor is idle for 30 minutes, the current recording session ends. Post this, a new recording session starts. The session also expires when the respective tab or the browser window is closed.
- The play/pause video tags or any other events are not supported in Session Recordings. As a result, the video might play automatically if the autoplay is set on a video tag. If a user plays a video manually or if the JS code starts it, then VWO won't be able to record and play it.
- Session Recordings in VWO collected the data only from the sampled visitors. To know more about sampling in VWO, refer to How VWO Sampling Works.
- The Session Recordings dashboard will display the recordings based on the retention period of your account. Once the retention period expires, you will not be able to view them.
VWO just stores the HTML files for Session Recordings and not the CSS. Consequently, the CSS is retrieved in real-time. You may not be able to access the session recordings correctly if certain CSS files no longer exist.