In this article, you’ll learn:
ATTENTION: This integration experience is only available for customers
who have the new INTEGRATIONS section enabled in their VWO account.
The Integrations section is being rolled out in phases and will soon
be available to all VWO customers.
If you do not see the INTEGRATIONS section in your VWO account yet, refer
to Integrating VWO with Mixpanel (Old Version).
Mixpanel is a tool that allows you to analyze how users interact with your Internet-connected product. It’s designed to make teams more efficient by allowing everyone to analyze user data in real-time to identify trends, understand user behavior, and make decisions about your product.
To learn more about Mixpanel, click here.
How Can the VWO-Mixpanel Integration Help You?
VWO and Mixpanel have joined forces to provide:
- Ability to break down Mixpanel reports by VWO experiments.
- Use Mixpanel audience (Cohorts) for fine-grained targeting in VWO.
Enabling the VWO-Mixpanel Integration for Your VWO Account
To enable the VWO-Mixpanel integration for your VWO account, follow this:
- Log in to your VWO account.
- From the left panel of your VWO dashboard, go to the INTEGRATIONS tab.
- Click on the Mixpanel integration and enable it. Once enabled, the Mixpanel screen within the VWO’s Integration section looks like this:
Once the integration is enabled, you can choose to send VWO experiment data to Mixpanel at a campaign level. By default, the Mixpanel integration is enabled for the new VWO testing campaigns.
If you wish to enable the Mixpanel integration for your existing campaigns, you can edit your campaign settings as shown below.
NOTE: Ensure that the Mixpanel option is enabled in the Integrate with
third-party products section.
Specifications of VWO Experiment Data Sent to Mixpanel
VWO uses the Mixpanel track event to send VWO experiment data to Mixpanel. The data is sent with the following specifics:
- Event Name: “VWO”
- Event Properties:
- Name of the property: “VWO-Test-ID-<VWO CAMPAIGN ID>” for example, VWO-Test-ID-10
- Value of the property: <VWO VARIATION NAME> for example, Variation-1 or Control
This is how the VWO experiment events appear in Mixpanel.
Filtering Mixpanel Reports with VWO Experiment Data
Once VWO starts sending VWO experiment data to Mixpanel, you can filter the reports generated in Mixpanel. To filter the reports, follow this:
- Login to your Mixpanel account.
- From the Mixpanel dashboard, go to Insights to check the Mixpanel properties for VWO-Test-ID-# (where # is the test ID number). For help on finding your test ID, refer to Viewing Your Test ID in VWO section.
In the Insights UI, you will see the campaign ID as a property of the VWO event. For example, VWO-Test-ID-523. You can use the values of this property such as control, variation1, etc., to filter based on the VWO experiment the user was part of.
Viewing Your Test ID in VWO
To view your test ID in VWO, follow this:
- Login to your VWO account.
- Go to the relevant testing dashboard and select the test for which you want to view the ID.
- From the SUMMARY page of your test, go to SETTINGS >SUMMARY.
- To view your Test ID, scroll down to the OTHER INFORMATION section of the page and check for the CAMPAIGN ID.
Enabling VWO-Mixpanel Cohorts Sync
The Mixpanel Cohorts sync in VWO enables customers to target VWO experiments on any Cohort (or audience) created in Mixpanel. For example, a customer operating an e-commerce store can now run an experiment on the checkout page only for visitors included in the store’s loyalty program.
NOTE: Cohorts synchronize with VWO every two hours, so the audience data
is regularly updated.
Setting up the VWO-Mixpanel integration is a four-step process:
- Fetch your Mixpanel integrations key from VWO
- Set Up the VWO Integration in Mixpanel
- Export the relevant Cohort from Mixpanel to VWO
- Use Attributes list created via Cohort sync for targeting in VWO testing campaign
1. The VWO-Mixpanel Integration is currently in a closed beta. If you
want to set it up, please contact the Mixpanel team.
2. Mixpanel Cohorts sync is only available to VWO Enterprise plan
Fetch Your Mixpanel Integrations Key From VWO
To fetch your Mixpanel integration key from VWO, follow this:
- Log in to your VWO account.
- From the left panel of your VWO dashboard, go to the INTEGRATIONS and enable the Mixpanel integration by clicking on the Mixpanel tile, if not already enabled.
- Once enabled, go to the CONFIG and copy the API key available.
Set Up the VWO Integration in Mixpanel
To set up the VWO Integration in Mixpanel, navigate to the list of integrations and connect the VWO integration using the API key generated in VWO (last step) when prompted to enter the API key.
Export the Relevant Cohort From Mixpanel to VWO
To export Cohorts from Mixpanel to VWO:
- Go to the Cohorts UI in Mixpanel.
- To export the Cohort, click on the three dots icon [...] corresponding to it.
- From the menu that appears, select Export.
- Select VWO integration for exporting the Cohort.
Use Attributes List Created via Cohort Sync for Targeting in VWO Testing Campaign
For targeting a VWO campaign to an Attributes List, follow this:
- While creating a test campaign in VWO, select the Enable campaign for a specific visitor group option.
- Go to the Custom tab, and from the first dropdown, select OTHERS > COOKIE VALUE.
- In the input field, enter _vwo_uuid.
- In the next dropdown, select IN LIST, and from the dropdown next to it, select the relevant Attributes list for the specific Mixpanel Cohort.
If you have any queries related to VWO-Mixpanel integration, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.