In this article, you’ll learn the following:
Segmentation in FullStack is typically done to filter out the test reports. It enables you to slice and dice reports in VWO to gain deeper insight into the test performances. You can do segmentation in Feature Test and A/B by using either of the following:
- Default segmentation - By default, VWO FullStack allows you to create a custom visitor segment either using custom dimensions (for non-Data360 accounts) or custom attributes (for Data360 accounts). Therefore in order to perform the segmentation of your report data with the default setup, you will first need to create the custom dimensions or the custom attributes, respectively.
In VWO client-side testing, we provide basic segments such as operating system, device type, browser, etc., as the cookies can detect these at the browser level. In contrast, in VWO FullStack, everything is done at the server level, and it is impossible to fetch such user attributes from the server. Thus, these attributes need to be added explicitly using custom dimensions / custom attributes.
- Advanced segmentation - Provides you with an additional ability to perform segmentation based on the visitors’ IP and user agents by performing a few code changes so as to pass these details to VWO to provide you with location and user agent-based options, which can either be directly applied or be used to create custom segments along with your custom dimensions / custom attributes.
To perform segmentation on your FullStack report, perform the following:
Using Custom Dimensions / Custom Attribute to Create a Segment
After creating your custom dimensions / custom attributes, you can employ the same to filter your report data based on them.
- Select the campaign that is in a running state or is complete for which you want to view the report.
- Go to Report > All Visitors > Custom Segment.
- From the first dropdown, select the custom dimension / custom attribute based on which you want to filter your report. The dropdown shows all the custom dimensions / custom attributes you have pre-created.
- In the second dropdown, select an appropriate relation between the custom dimension / custom attribute and its corresponding value.
- In the last dropdown, enter the value for the selected custom dimension / custom attribute.
NOTE: To add more filters, click Add Condition. You can use And/Or options to establish a link between the conditions.
- To view the filtered report, Click Apply.
- Click Save Segment to save your segmentation condition.
NOTE: Post this, the saved segment must appear in the My Segments section.
Besides this capability, you can further extend your FullStack report’s segmentation capability by enabling advanced segmentation in a few additional steps.
Enabling Advanced Post-segmentation in FullStack
If you wish to segment your visitors based on their IP and user agent, you can perform a few one-time implementation steps to enable it.
NOTE: This setup is dependent on your visitors’ IP and user agent data. However, passing these data to VWO is purely optional and completely at your discretion.
Besides segmenting, this feature fetches you cleaner reports by keeping the unauthorized IPs and unrecognized user agent bots from infiltrating your campaign. For example, if your quality analysis team is conducting any test on your website, you can use this advanced post-segmentation to exclude their IPs from getting involved in your campaigns.
To enable the advanced post-segmentation, perform the steps stipulated here.
Creating User Agent and IP-based Segments
Once you have enabled advanced post-segmentation, you can now segment your reports based on your visitors’ user agents and IP addresses.
Click on All Visitors on your FullStack A/B test report. Now, you can see the following sections:
- Standard Segments - Features predefined segment templates that feature the following options:
- Device Type
- My Segments - Features the custom segments that you have created in FullStack under the Custom Segment section and saved.
NOTE: In the case of a Data360 account, the segments you have created in Data360 > Segments cannot be applied to FullStack campaigns.
- Custom Segment - Allows you to create custom segments using standard parameters along with custom dimensions or custom attributes.
- Operating System
- User Agent
- Device Type
- Visitor ID
- Custom Dimension
To know how to apply these post-segmentation parameters, refer to this article.
Now, you can view your reports for select geography to observe their responses to your campaign or see if your purchasers are using your app on a mobile or a desktop.