Segmentation is typically done to filter out the test reports. It enables you to slice and dice reports in VWO to get a deeper insight into the test performances. Using custom dimensions, you can define custom attributes and associate them with every visitor to your website. To add a segmentation filter, select a campaign that has started, and go to REPORT > All Visitors > CUSTOM.
In VWO client-side testing, we provide some basic segments such as location, browser, etc., as the cookies can detect these at the browser level. In contrast, in VWO FullStack, everything is done at the server level, and it is not possible to fetch such user attributes from the server. Thus, these attributes need to be added explicitly using the Custom Dimensions.
In VWO FullStack, we do not have the option to do segmentation based on location, device type, or other attributes. This is because this information is stored in the cookies on the client side.
You can do the segmentation in Feature Test and A/B. Segmentation targeting in VWO is a two-step process:
Creating Custom Dimensions
Custom Dimensions allows you to categorize and differentiate the visitors landing on your website. To create a custom dimension, go to SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS > CUSTOM DIMENSIONS, and click Add Custom Dimension. To know about how to add custom dimensions, refer to Using Custom Dimensions in VWO.
Using the Custom Dimensions to Create a Segment
Once a custom dimension is created, the next step is to use that custom dimension in the report segmentation.
- To configure the segmentation, select a campaign that is in a running state or is complete.
- Go to REPORT > All Visitors > CUSTOM.
- From the TAG dropdown, select the custom dimension you want to work with. By default, the TAG dropdown shows all the custom dimensions you have created in SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS > CUSTOM DIMENSIONS. To know about how to add custom dimensions, refer to Using Custom Dimensions in VWO.
- In the VALUE field, enter the value for the selected custom dimension.
NOTE: To add more filters, click Add Condition. You can use AND/OR options to establish a link between the conditions.
- To view the filtered report, Click APPLY.
- Click SAVE SEGMENT to save your segmentation condition.
NOTE: Post this, the saved segment must appear in the MY SEGMENTS section.