In this article, you’ll learn the following:
Personalize campaigns are helpful in applying targeted experiences specific to different segments of visitors. VWO Personalize comes with all the privileges of an A/B test, combined with the potential to create and apply segment-specific experiences.
To create a Personalize campaign, from the main menu, click PERSONALIZE > Create.
A new campaign creation page appears with the default name of the campaign as New Campaign. To change it, click the Edit icon present next to it and enter a name.
The entire process of creating a Personalize campaign involves five steps, which are as follows:
Step 1: URL(S)
This page lets you add basic information about your campaign. Enter the following details and click NEXT:
- In the Enter URL(s) of the page(s) you want to personalize field, enter the campaign URL which you want to personalize.
NOTE: To include or exclude URLs from the campaign, click the Advanced option next to the URLs field. Using this, you can also define advanced pattern-matching options to include either a broad URL with wildcard entries or a specific URL. To learn about using different URL types, refer to Using URL Patterns in VWO.INFO: In the case of specifying a URL pattern for the campaign, where you wish to exclude a given webpage that matches the pattern criteria, the Exclude URL option comes in handy.For example: Let’s say you wish to run a site-wide campaign on https://vwo.com, but you want to exclude the Contact Us page (https://vwo.com/contact-us/) from it. Then, you need to mention the URLs in the respective fields as follows:
Included URLs: https://vwo.com*
Excluded URLs: https://vwo.com/contact-us/
- If you’re under the Advanced option, you will find the Enter URL of the page for which you want to preview field. When you’re running the campaign on multiple pages, you must specify a URL here that VWO can load in the Visual Editor to create experiences, use for previews and screenshots, and generate heatmap reports if heatmaps are enabled.
- You can use the More Options section to apply options such as creating experiences through code-only mode, loading campaign URL on a mobile device inside the VWO Visual Editor, and applying pre-segmentation to your campaign. To know more, refer to Setting-up Pages for Your Test in VWO.
Step 2: EXPERIENCES
This page directly takes you to the VWO Visual Editor in a new tab allowing you to design changes for the different experiences. Learn more about using the VWO Visual Editor to create your experiences. Once you are done creating your experiences, click NEXT. The VWO Visual Editor gets closed and you will be taken back to the campaign creation process.
Step 3: TARGETS
This page allows you to define visitor segments for your individual experiences. To do this, specify the visitor segment you want to target for each experience in the campaign. To know how to target experiences to the visitor segment, refer to Targeting Visitor Segments for Experiences in VWO Personalize. Once you are done configuring the targets, click NEXT.
Step 4: GOALS
Conversion Goals in Personalize refer to the events that you specify to be accomplished by the visitors that qualify your targeting conditions. This allows you to understand the extent to which the purpose of each of the experiences is fulfilled. For example, a visitor clicking on the offer banner that you have designed specifically targeting the corresponding segment of the visitor.
On this page, you can set up the goals for your Personalize campaign through the following steps:
- The name of the goal is assigned by default. To modify it, click the edit icon present next to it and enter the name for your goal.
- From the Goal Type dropdown, select the goal type you want to work with. To know more about different goal types in VWO, refer to What are the Different Types of Conversion Goals?.
- In the Include URLs field, specify the operation from the dropdown, and in the field next to it, enter the URL of the webpage where you want to track the conversions. If you wish to exclude a webpage from the goal conversion tracking, use the Exclude URL option to specify the operation and the URL of that page.
NOTE: If your goal URL belongs to a different domain, then upon clicking NEXT, you will be intimated of the differing domains. If you wish to continue with that, you need to enable cross-domain functionality by clicking Yes, continue in the popup.
- To track another activity in your campaign, click Add another goal. You can also do this by selecting the goals that you have frequently used. To do this, click on the Frequently used goals option and select one. You can search for a frequently used goal by entering the name of the goal or the goal URL. You can also apply the Goal type filter to narrow down the list. Click on the goal and it gets applied to your Personalize campaign. You can also customize the goal further to suit your requirement.
NOTE: The Frequently used goals appear based on the domain where your campaign is running.
- Once you are done setting up the conversion goals, click NEXT.
Step 5: OTHERS
This is the last stage of campaign creation that provides you with options like allocating traffic to your experiences, integrating your campaign with third-party products, and finalizing your campaign settings with some advanced options. To do these, perform the following steps:
- Sometimes, you may want to apply personalization only to a certain amount of the total traffic on your website. For example, you may want to examine the outcomes of your personalization in a phased manner. For this, you can customize the visitor traffic allocation for your campaign, and configure the percentage traffic via the Traffic to include in the campaign section.
- VWO is enabled with third-party applications such as Google Universal Analytics, Adobe Analytics, and so on, which enable you to either push your campaign data from VWO for further processing or pull the data from an external application into VWO to target your Personalize campaigns. If you want to integrate your campaign with the third-party integrations supported by VWO, then select the desired integration(s) from the Integrate with third-party products section.
- To configure advanced options for your campaign, select the desired options from the Advanced Options section. To know the functionality of each option, refer to Finalizing Your Test.
- To add notes about something important regarding your campaign, click Add notes, and enter the information.
- To add labels to your campaign, click Add labels.
NOTE: Labels can be used to filter out the campaign on the dashboard.
- Once you are done finalizing the advanced settings for your campaign, click CREATE.
NOTE: All of the above-mentioned settings can be modified even after campaign creation. To do this, select the campaign from the Personalize dashboard, and navigate to the Settings tab. However, we do not recommend altering your campaign settings after starting the campaign, as it would render skewed results.
Now, your campaign is created, and its summary will appear along with the Start Now option to start the campaign right away and the Preview Campaign and Start Later option to preview your experiences and start the campaign later.