In this article, you’ll learn:
Snowplow is an enterprise-strength marketing and product analytics platform built for Data Teams. With Snowplow, you can collect rich, high-quality event data from all your platforms and products. Your data is delivered in real-time to your preferred data center, where it can be quickly joined with other data sets and used to power BI tools, custom reports, and machine learning models.
The snowplow performs three functions:
- Identifies and tracks the user's interactions with your website or application.
- Stores the behavioural data of your users in a scalable "event data warehouse" that you control: Elasticsearch, Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, Snowflake, or Amazon Redshift.
- Allows you to use a wide range of tools to analyze the data, including big data tools (such as Spark) through EMR or more traditional tools like Looker, Mode, Superset, Re:dash to analyze that behavioural data.
The Snowplow pipeline runs in your cloud account (AWS and/or GCP), giving you complete ownership of your data. To know more, check out the Snowplow website.
Enabling the Snowplow Integration for Your VWO Account
To enable the VWO-Snowplow integration for your VWO account, follow this:
- Log in to your VWO account.
- From the left panel of your VWO dashboard, go to the Configurations > Integrations tab.
- Click on the Snowplow integration and enable it. Once enabled, the Snowplow screen within the VWO’s Integration section looks like this:
- Under the Config tab, select the version of Snowplow you want to integrate with your VWO account.
Once the integration is enabled, you can choose to send VWO experiment data to Snowplow at a campaign level.
By default, the Snowplow integration is enabled for the new VWO testing campaigns. To learn how to enable it for your existing integrations, refer to Enable Snowplow Integration for Existing Campaigns.
Specifications of VWO Experiment Data Sent to Snowplow
VWO uses the Snowplow trackStructEvent to send VWO experiment data to Snowplow. The data is sent with the following values:
- Category: 'VWO'
- Action: VWO Campaign ID:VWO Campaign Name
- Label: VWO Variation ID:VWO Variation Name
- Property: VWO User ID
Enable Snowplow Integration for Existing Campaigns
If you wish to enable the Snowplow integration for your existing campaigns, you can edit your campaign settings, as shown below.
Now that you have enabled Snowplow in VWO and integrated the same in your campaign, you should see the “VWO” event in the collectors configured within Snowplow. A Collector captures and logs these events in their raw form, ready to be processed by Snowplow enrich (AWS or GCP) phase. To learn how you can set up the Snowplow collector, click here.