In this article, you’ll learn:
Heap is an analytics platform that helps product, marketing, and customer success teams craft exceptional digital experiences that convert and retain users. Heap automatically collect all customer data from your site or app to generate key insights for improving your product, driving conversion, activation, and retention, and getting an advance signal on changes in customer behavior.
Integrating your VWO account with Heap will facilitate the bilateral transfer of data, viz.,
- Outbound transfer of campaign data from VWO to Heap. For example, you may analyze the performance of visitors tagged to different versions of a campaign in VWO further, along with different metrics that are available in Heap. Click here to learn how to configure the outbound data transfer.
- Inbound transfer of data from Heap to VWO (coming soon), wherein you will be able to sync in the Heap segments and use them to target your campaigns in VWO. For example, you might have a segment in Heap that categorizes returning visitors who had abandoned the cart. Via the VWO <> Heap integration, you can target this segment to run a campaign in VWO.
NOTE: To facilitate the inbound transfer of segment data from Heap to VWO, you should also carry out the integration process from your Heap account and create at least one segment in your Heap account using the VWO integration. Click here to learn more.
Integrating the Heap Analytics tool with VWO helps you push data from VWO campaign pages and monitor or compare campaign data using the Heap dashboard. The end-to-end process of integrating Heap with VWO involves the following steps:
Enabling the Heap Integration for Your VWO Account
To enable the VWO-Heap integration for your VWO account, follow this:
- Log in to your VWO account.
- From the left panel of your VWO dashboard, go to the Configurations > Integrations tab.
- Click on the Heap integration and enable it.
Once enabled, you will be taken to the Config tab to configure the data transit for this integration.
Configuring VWO-Heap Integration
The Config tab lets you configure the type of data transfer you want to execute via this integration.
Enable Sending VWO Campaign Data to Heap
This option lets you configure the data that can be pushed from VWO to your Heap account. Simply select this option, and click on Save.
After configuring the outbound setup, the Heap integration is auto-applied to your new campaigns. To enable it for the pre-existing ones, you can select the Heap integration checkbox in your respective VWO campaign to pass the campaign data to Heap. To do so, select the required campaign, go to Configuration > Integrations, and select the Heap option.
Now, your campaign data will be exported to your Heap account, where you can create segments using this data.
Creating a Segment in Heap Using VWO Campaign Data
To define the VWO segment in your Heap Analytics account, perform this:
- Log in to your Heap account.
- To create a new segment for the VWO test campaign you want to track, from the analytics dashboard, go to Data > Segments > Define segment.
- Select a category (in our example, Uncategorized), or enter a new name for organizing your projects(in our example, VWO A/B Test 60).
- Enter the VWO campaign ID for the segment in the format VWO-ExpId-#, where # is the VWO campaign ID. You will find the variation name displayed for the visitor in the test campaign. In the image above, the campaign ID is 60.
INFO: To locate your campaign ID, go to Review > Configuration summary > Other Information.
- In the Edit segment criteria section, click on the Property dropdown and search for the VWO segment.
- Select the operator value as is defined.
- Once done, click Label segment.
- You can now view the data from VWO on your Heap dashboard.
Enable Use of Heap Segment for Visitor Targeting (Coming Soon)
ATTENTION: This feature is currently unavailable, but it will be rolled out in a few weeks.
This option lets you import the segment data from your Heap account to target visitors for your VWO campaigns. Select this option and click Save.
NOTE: VWO supports only Heap’s identified visitors. Heap visitors can be identified using Heap’s Identity API. To learn more about it, refer to this article.
Now, you will have to authenticate the data transfer from your Heap account to VWO by clicking the Authenticate VWO on Heap button. In the Authentication popup that appears, select the Heap environment that you want to use with VWO, carefully read through what VWO will be able to view in your Heap account with this permission, and if you’re ready to proceed, click Allow.
Once done, you will have to enable the VWO integration in Heap to push the data from Heap to VWO.
Syncing a Heap Segment to VWO
To export a segment from Heap to VWO, you need to do the following:
- From your Heap dashboard, go to Integrations > Directory. Search for VWO and enable it.
- Create a segment, and in the same, scroll down to the Integrations section and enable VWO.
- In the Sync Segment to VWO popup that appears, click Enable Recurring Sync to recurrently sync the segment for this specific campaign.
NOTE: We recommend using the Enable Recurring Sync option as it ensures any new data that is added to the segment is pushed to VWO. However, if you only need the current data and do not require any new data to be pushed to VWO, you can click on the Sync now button.
Now, the Heap segment is imported to your VWO account. You can log in to your VWO account to access it.
Accessing the Heap Segments Imported Into VWO
To access the Heap Segments imported into VWO, perform the following steps on the Heap integration page:
- Under the Enable use of Heap segment for visitor targeting section, click on the Add segments from Heap link.
- On the Add Heap Segments popup that appears, select the audience and click Add.
This enables VWO to start syncing the segment. You can check the sync status from the audience list table that appears.
Depending on the size of the segment, VWO will complete the initial synchronization in about an hour. Following this, recurrent synchronizations for the imported segments will occur every 24 hours. If required, you can sync them manually, as a whole, by clicking on the Sync All button. You can also sync them individually by clicking on the vertical ellipsis (⋮) > Sync, correspondingly.
Once the campaign is synced, you can start using the Heap segments to target visitors in your Testing and Personalize campaigns.
NOTE: At once, you can only connect one Heap account per workspace in your VWO account.
Targeting Visitors Using Heap Segments
Once you have imported the segments from your Heap account into VWO, you can put them to use in your campaigns to target the visitors who satiate the conditions specified in your Heap segments.
To do this, perform the following steps:
- Log in to your VWO account.
- Using the Testing section, create a test campaign.
- Go to Configuration > Audience and Traffic > Target Audience > Custom Segment.
- Create a segment using the Heap Segment condition. You can use this to fetch the smart lists that you have synced in VWO from your Heap account.
Here's an example of how you can put it to use.
- To add multiple conditions, click Add condition. Also, you can define the logical relationship between the different conditions using the and/or operators and use brackets to organize the segment condition.
- Once done, click Save Segment.